Last Updated: September 1, 2023
A. “Data” includes both Non-Personal Information and Personal Identifiable Information.
B. “Non-Personal Information” is any information that is not Personally Identifiable Information (defined below). Non-Personal Information includes, without limitation, Personally Identifiable Information that has been anonymized.
C. “Personal Information,” “Personally Identifiable Information,” “PII,” or “Personal Data” will have the meaning set forth in the applicable data privacy and security laws for the jurisdiction you are located in. In general, Personal Information is non-public information we receive from your use of the Site that can be used, alone or in combination with other information in our possession, to identify a particular person/individual. It may include information such as name, address, telephone number and other personal information you provide us.
D. “Site” refers to the following websites, as applicable, including any related blogs, domains, mobile sites, online services, and applications maintained by the applicable Sun Communities entity:
E. “Sun Communities”, “we,” “us” and “our” means the following entity/entities as applicable:
- Sun Communities, Inc.
- RezPlot Systems, LLC d/b/a CampSpot
F. “You” and “your” mean the individual or entity visiting or using the Site.
2. INFORMATION COLLECTED AND CONSENT
You do not have to provide any Personally Identifiable Information to browse the publicly available pages of the Site; however, in order to obtain or use products or services that are or may be provided through the Site or that we may otherwise offer online or offline (collectively, the “Services”) you may be required to register and/or provide Personally Identifiable Information.
Personal Information Your Provide Us
We may collect Personal Information from you in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when you (i) register on the Site; (ii) fill out forms or fields on the Site or offline; (iii) complete an application for a product or service available through the Site; (iv) communicate with us through the Site or by email, mail, text, telephone, facsimile or other electronic means; (v) use the Site or authorize us to access any financial information stored or processed by a third party; (vi) provide us with Personal Information or other information; (v) participate in activities or utilize resources provided by or through Sun, including without limitation, educational programs, scholarships or events. We may collect the following information about you depending on the nature of the transaction.
- First and last name, and middle initial
- Postal/mailing address
- Billing address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Cellular telephone number
- Geographic area
- Internet protocol address
- ID verification/State drivers’ license number
- Passport information
- Age/Date of Birth
- Documents to verify your identity
- Your occupation
- Payment information
- Rewards/loyalty program identifier
- Education information
- Preferred language
- Vehicle information
- Background check information
- Details included in any application or essay
- Other preferences
- Transaction and financial information related to the transaction
- Products or services purchased, obtained, or considered
- Accommodation selection and assignment
- Arrival time
- Departure time
- Booking information
- Your purchasing or consuming history or tendencies, along with other preferences and interests
- Data about family members and companions, names and ages of children
- Information about your business, if applicable
- Geolocation data
- Inferences drawn from this personal information to create a profile about you.
We will treat as personal information any item that, either alone or together with other information, we could use to identify an individual. Except as described below, we will not share with third parties any personal information without your permission.
We may also collect your Personal Information from sources that you have authorized to share with us or that you have authorized us to obtain information from.
We collect information about you from third parties related to transactions you are contemplating entering into with us or that you have entered into with us.
If you believe we received our personal information from a source without authority to share your personal information with us, please contact us so that we can resolve your complaint.
Information We Automatically Collect
Sun Communities may collect information about you automatically when you visit the Site, communicate through the Site, or use any of our online Services.
System Information: We may automatically receive certain information from your browser or mobile device, such as your browser type, the operating system of your device, the equipment you use to access the Site, and the unique identifier of your mobile device.
IP Address: We may also receive your IP address and the name of the internet service provider (“ISP”) or your mobile carrier.
Browsing Information: We may collect the URL of the site from which you came and the URL of the site you visit when leaving the Site or any of our online Services. and your activities on the Site, such as webpages you view and how you interact with those webpages..
Location: We may collect, depending on your device’s settings, location data and other types of information sent from third party services or GPS-enabled devices.
Aggregated Anonymized Data: We may also convert personal information into Non-Personal Information by excluding information that is personally identifiable. You acknowledge that Non-Personal Information and Personal Information that is converted into Non-Personal Information belongs to Sun Communities and that Sun Communities has the right to use such general information as it determines in its sole discretion.
3. COOKIES, ADVERTISING PLATFORMS AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES USED ON THE SITE
In addition, we use the services of advertising platforms to provide relevant marketing to consumers concerning our Services.
In general, we use four different types of cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are necessary to enable the basic features of the Site, including any of our applications, such as providing a secure login.
Functional cookies: These cookies allow our Site to remember your site preferences and choices you make on the Site. We also use functional cookies to facilitate navigation, to display content more effectively, and to personalize your experience.
Analytics cookies: Analytics cookies help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it.
Opting-out of Personalized Ads: You can opt-out of receiving personalized ads from advertisers and ad networks that are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) or who follow the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising using their respective opt-out tools. The NAI’s opt-out tool can be found here: http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices and the DAA’s opt-out tool can be found here: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
In addition, your mobile devices may offer settings that enable you to make choices about the collection, use, or transfer of mobile app information for online behavioral advertising (for example, Apple iOS’ Advertising ID and Google Android’s Advertising ID). Please note that opting out does not prevent the display of all advertisement to you.
4. HOW WE USE AND SHARE YOUR PERSONAL IDEIFIABLE INFORMATION
We will use your personal information to provide the Services that your personal information was shared with us to fulfill. Sun Communities may use personal information for the following purposes:
A. To improve customer service: Your information helps us communicate more effectively with inquiries and existing customers, and to respond to your customer service requests and support needs.
B. To personalize user experience: We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our users as a group use the Services and resources provided on the Site.
C. To improve the Site: We continually strive to improve our Site and the Services based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
E. To send periodic mail, emails, and surveys: The email address you provide for the Services will only be used to send you information, newsletters, surveys, and updates pertaining to the Services requested, provided, or that we think you may be interested in. It may also be used to respond to inquiries and/or other requests or questions.
G. Fulfillment Obligations: Comply with contractual obligations, relevant industry standards, and our policies.
I. Compliance with applicable law: We may disclose your Personal Information as we may in sole discretion determine is necessary or reasonably required to comply with law, applicable regulations, court orders or subpoenas; to enforce our Terms and Conditions; or to protect our rights, property, or safety; or the rights, property, or safety of others.
J. Security: Mitigate fraud, enhance the security of the Site, and manage institutional risk.
L. Payment Processing: For processing payments related to the products and Services we provide you.
5. RETENTION AND STORAGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws. We use reasonable security precautions to protect your information while in storage
To determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Information, the purposes for which we process your personal information, whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and applicable legal requirements.
We will use commercially reasonable methods to keep your Personal Information securely in our files and systems. When credit card numbers are transmitted through a field in a form on the Site requesting credit card numbers, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
7. DO NOT TRACK
Your browser may provide you with the option to send a “Do Not Track” signal to websites you visit. This signal is used to request that websites not send the requesting device cookies, but websites have no obligation to respond to such signal or to modify their operation. Our online sites may not recognize all web browser-based “Do Not Track” signals. However, you may be able to modify your internet-enabled device’s web browser settings to block all cookies or third-party cookies.
9. LINKS TO OTHER SITES
10. AGE OF CONSENT
If you have knowledge that a child 13 years of age or younger has submitted Personally Identifiable Information to us, please contact us and we will delete the Personal Information collected belonging to that child. You may contact us by writing to us at the address below. Parent and guardians can also contact us by mail but before any information is disclosed, the parent will be required to provide verification of his/her identity and authority related to any request. We will only send the information to the parent email address in the registration file.
11. CAN-SPAM COMPLIANCE NOTICE
Sun Communities fully complies with the federal CAN-SPAM Act. You can always opt-out of receipt of further email correspondence from us.
12. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Under Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California can obtain certain information with whom they have an established business relationship. That information is about the Personal Information those companies have shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. The law requires companies to inform consumers about the categories of Personal Information shared with third parties, the names and addresses of those third parties, and examples of the services or products marketed by those third parties. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by Sun Communities under Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, please contact us via mail at the address below.
13. U.S. STATE LAW PRIVACY RIGHTS
Some US states have adopted privacy laws that require specific disclosures. The following explains your rights pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act (collectively, the “Act”). Some or all of the rights provided for under the Act are also provided for under the Colorado Privacy Act, the Connecticut Data Privacy Act, the Utah Consumer Privacy Act and the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act. Collectively, these privacy laws are referred to as “US State Privacy Laws.”
We do not sell your personal information
We do not sell your Personal Information. Under US State Privacy Laws, a business that sells personal information to others: 1) must give notice to that person before selling his/her personal information to others; and 2) must provide the right to opt-out of the sale of their personal information.
Your Rights Under US State Privacy Laws
- Right to Access and Know. You may request that we disclose the following information:
a. The categories of Personal Information we collected about you and the categories of sources from which we collected such Personal Information;
b. The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you;
c. The business or commercial purpose of collecting or sharing Personal Information about you;
d. The categories of Personal Information about you that we shared (as defined under the applicable privacy law) and the categories of third parties with whom we shared such Personal Information; and
e. The categories of Personal Information about you that we otherwise disclosed, and the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed such Personal Information (if applicable).
Under US State Privacy Laws, the right to obtain “specific pieces” does not grant a right to the whole of any document that contains Personal Information, but only the right to obtain items of your Personal Information. Additionally, you have a right to know “categories” of sources of Personal Information and “categories” of third parties to which personal information is disclosed, but not the individual sources or third parties. Sun Communities does not always track individualized sources or recipients.
- Right to Request Correction of your Personal Information. You may request to correct inaccuracies in your Personal Information;
- Right to Request Deletion of Your Personal Information. You may request to have your Personal Information deleted;
- Right to Opt-out of Sharing for Cross-Context Behavioral Advertising. You may request to opt out of the “sharing” of your Personal Information for purposes of cross-context behavioral advertising.
- Right to Data Portability. You have the right to request a copy of your data in a machine readable format.
Verification of Requests to Exercise Rights. When receiving a request, we will verify that the individual making the request is the resident to whom the Personal Information subject to the request pertains. You may exercise your rights yourself or may use an authorized agent to make requests to disclose certain information about the processing of your Personal Information or to delete Personal Information on your behalf. If you use an authorized agent to submit a request, we may request that you provide us additional information demonstrating that the agent is acting on your behalf.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect
We collect information that identified you, your household or your device or is reasonably capable of being connected with or linked to you, your household, or your device. “Personal Information” does not include public information available from government records, de-identified or aggregated information, or information that is protected by certain laws such as HIPPA for health-related information and the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act for certain financial institutions.
How We Use Your Information
See above for how we use your information. We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
We are not required to (1) retain your Personal Information if collected for a single one-time transaction if, in the ordinary course of business, that information would not be retained and (2) re-identify or otherwise link any data that, in the ordinary course of business, is not maintained in a way that would be considered personal information.
Request to Delete
We are not required to grant your deletion request if retaining the Personal Information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which the Personal Information was collected, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall, or otherwise perform a contract between us and you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity.
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impact existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise that consumer’s right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest when the deletion of the public information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of such research, if the consumer has provided informed consent.
- For solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Internally make otherwise lawful uses of your Personal Information that are compatible with the context in which you provided your Personal Information.
Once you make an opt-out request, we will wait at least twelve (12) months before asking you to reauthorize Personal Information sharing with third parties. However, you may change your mind and opt back into Personal Information sharing with third parties at any time by mailing us at the address below.
We will only use Personal Information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request. We will act upon your opt-out request within 15 days of receipt.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods and services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information’s value and contain written terms that describe the program’s material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt-in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
14. EU and UK Privacy Rights
This section is for users in the European Union and the United Kingdom (collectively, “EEA”) and supplements the information contained in other sections of this policy and applies solely to all visitors, users and others who are located in the EEA. Any inconsistent terms in any other sections of this policy will be superseded by this Section for EEA residents.
a. Personal Data. References to Personal Information in this policy are equivalent to “personal data” governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (EU/UK) (collectively and generically, the “GDPR”).
b. Controller. We are the controller of your Personal Information covered by this policy for purposes of the GDPR. Our contact information is provided below.
c. Legal Bases for Processing. We use your Personal Information only as permitted by law. Our legal bases for processing Personal Information is described in this Section 14 is as follows:
- To provide Services to you.
- To perform our contractual obligations.
- To perform pre-contractual measures.
- For research and development.
- To send you marketing communications.
- For compliance, fraud prevention and safety.
- To create anonymous data.
- To comply with applicable law.
- Processing of Personal Data with your consent.
- Protect your vital interests or those of another natural person.
- Processing operations that are pursued by Sun Communities for our legitimate interests or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of Personal Data.
d. Your rights. The GDPR gives you certain rights regarding your personal data. If you are located within the EEA, you may ask us to take the following actions in relation to your Personal Information that we hold:
- Right to Access. You have the right to request information about our processing of your Personal Data and give you access to your Personal Data. In addition, you also have the right to know the following information:
- the purposes of the processing;
- the categories of Personal Data concerned;
- the recipients or categories of recipients to whom the Personal Data have been or will be disclosed, in particular recipients in third countries or international organizations;
- where possible, the envisaged period for which the Personal Data will be stored, or, if not possible, the criteria used to determine that period;
- the existence of the right to request from the data controller rectification or erasure of Personal Data, or restriction of processing of Personal Data concerning you, or to object to such processing;
- the existence of the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office which is the UK’s data protection regulator;
- where the Personal Data is not collected from you, any available information as to their source;
- the existence of automated decision-making, including profiling, and, at least in those cases, meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and envisaged consequences of such processing for you.
- Right to Rectification. You have the right to update or correct inaccuracies in your Personal Data. Taking into account the purposes of the processing, you shall have the right to have incomplete personal data completed, including by means of providing a supplementary statement.
- Right to Erasure (“Right to be Forgotten”). You have the right to request that Personal Data be deleted without undue delay where one of the following grounds applies, if the processing is not necessary:
- The Personal Data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed.
- You withdraw Consent to which the processing is based according to point (a) of Article 6(1) of the GDPR, or point (a) of Article 9(2) of the GDPR, and where there is no other legal ground for the processing.
- You object to the processing pursuant to Article 21(1) of the GDPR and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing, or you object to the processing pursuant to Article 21(2) of the GDPR.
- The Personal Data has been unlawfully processed.
- The Personal Data must be erased for compliance with a legal obligation in UK law to which the data controller is subject.
The Personal Data has been collected in relation to the offer of information society services directly to a child, referred to in Article 8(1) of the GDPR.
If one of the above reasons applies, and you wish to request the erasure of Personal Data stored by us, they may, at any time, contact us via email.
Where we have made Personal Data public and are obliged pursuant to Article 17(1) to erase the Personal Data, we shall, taking account of available technology and the cost of implementation, take reasonable steps, including technical measures, to inform other controllers processing the Personal Data that you have requested erasure by such controllers of any links to, or copy or replication of, those Personal Data, as far as processing is not required. We Team will arrange the necessary measures in individual cases.
- Right to Restrict Processing. You have the right to restrict the processing of your Personal Data where one of the following applies:
- The accuracy of the Personal Data is contested by you, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of the Personal Data.
- The processing is unlawful, and you oppose the erasure of the Personal Data and request the restriction of their use instead.
- We no longer need the Personal Data for the purposes of the contemplated processing but is required by us to exercise or defend legal claims.
- You have objected to processing pursuant to Article 21(1) of the GDPR pending the verification whether our legitimate grounds of processing override those of yours.
- Right to Data Portability. You have the right to receive your Personal Data, which was provided to us, in a structured, commonly used machine-readable format.
You shall have the right to transmit such Personal Data to another controller without hindrance from us, as long as the processing is based on consent pursuant to point (a) of Article 6(1) of the GDPR or point (a) of Article 9(2) of the GDPR, or on a contract pursuant to point (b) of Article 6(1) of the GDPR, and the processing is carried out by automated means, as long as the processing is not necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
In exercising your right to data portability pursuant to Article 20(1) of the GDPR, you shall have the right to have Personal Data transmitted directly from one controller to another, where technically feasible and when doing so does not adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others.
- Right to Object/Withdraw Consent. You have the right to object to our reliance on our legitimate interests as the basis of our processing of your Personal Information that impacts your rights. You also have the right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your Personal Data at anytime.
- Right Not to Be Subject to Automated decision making. You have the right to object to decisions based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal effects concerning you or affecting you.
Cross-Border Data Transfer. Personal data voluntarily submitted to us online, via electronic communication, or otherwise, may be maintained or accessed in servers or files in the United States, which the European Union and UK have not deemed to provide “adequate” privacy protection. If you do not consent to having your personal data processed and stored in the United States, please do not provide it to us on the Website or through any other means.
15. HOW TO SUBMIT A REQUEST TO SUN COMMUNITIES TO EXERCISE YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS.
In the US, EU and UK to exercise your Privacy Rights, you may submit your verifiable consumer requests to Sun Communities at the address set forth below:
Mailing a request to Sun Communities at:
Attn: Privacy Team
27777 Franklin Road
Southfield, MI 48034
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request to your Personal Information. Unless otherwise provided for in applicable privacy law, we are not required to provide you with Personal Information more than twice in a 12-month period.
We will not be able to respond to your request to provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you.
We will try to respond to your request within forty-five (45) days of receipt of your written request (thirty (30) days under the GDPR). If we require more time (up to 90 days) (up to sixty (60) additional days under the GDPR), we will inform you of the extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. For United States based requests, any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your Personal Information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance, specifically by electronic mail communication.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request. Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your request. If we decline your request, we will tell you why, subject to legal restrictions.
Supervisory Authority. If you are a European Union or United Kingdom resident, you may make a complaint regarding the use of your personal information to your local data protection regulator. You can find your data protection regulator here:
16. YOUR NEVADA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Nevada law (SB 220) permits customers in Nevada to opt-out of the sale of certain kinds of Personal Information. A sale under Nevada law is the transfer of this Personal Information to third parties for monetary consideration so these third parties can then re-sell or license the sold information. We do not sell your Personal Information to third parties as defined in Nevada law. If you are a Nevada resident and wish to opt-out of the sale of your Personal Information, should we change our practices in the future, you must send a request to by mail.
18. EUROPEAN UNION DISCLOSURE
Personal Information voluntarily submitted to Sun Communities online, via electronic communication, or otherwise, may be maintained or accessed in servers or files in the United States of America, which the European Union has not deemed to provide “adequate” privacy protection. If you do not consent to having your information processed and stored in the United States of America, please do not provide it to Sun Communities. Sun Communities contends that the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 does not apply to its processing of Personal Information and that it is not within the jurisdiction of the EU. All processing of PII is governed by the applicable laws of the United States of America.
19. EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS AND JOB APPLICANTS
Attn: Privacy Team
27777 Franklin Road
Southfield, MI 40034