FEMA Application Procedures
United States Federal Emergency Management Agency
You must apply online FIRST! Go to www.disasterassistance.gov and click on the blue “Apply Online” button. The registration process takes 18-20 minutes.
What you will need to start the application
- You will need the primary applicant’s SSN –OR- the SSN of a minor child in the household who is a U.S. Citizen, Non-Citizen National or Qualified Alien.
- Family’s total gross household income at the time of the disaster.
Address and phone number of damaged dwelling.
- Current mailing address and phone numbers where you can be contacted.
- Identify the types of insurance coverage you have.
- Pen and paper to record registration ID number.
Electronic Funds Transfer/Direct Deposit Information
If you are determined to be eligible for assistance and would prefer funds be transferred directly to your account, you must provide the following banking information:
- Institution name
- Type of account
- Routing and account number
If you need further information or assistance
Call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362). This number is also for users of 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS). TTY users can call 1-800-462-7585. Helpline services available seven days a week from 7 am to 11 pm ET.
FEMA’s Internet Help Desk 1-800-745-0243 Available 24/7
This information is distributed as courtesy. It is not a guarantee of assistance, an endorsement or requirement. All information contained herein is from www.disasterassistance.gov as of 9/12/17 and is subject to change at any time.